How to Qualify for Spousal Sponsorship in Canada
If you sponsor a family member to immigrate to Canada, you must provide proof that you can:
- Meet basic needs – such as food, clothing and a home.
- Support your family financially.
- Make sure your spouse or relative does not need financial assistance from the Canadian Government.
It is important to note that a Canadian citizen or permanent resident has to qualify to become a sponsor.
The sponsor for a spouse must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada or a Canadian citizen.
- As a permanent resident, you cannot be in prison, bankrupt, under a removal order or charged with a serious offense.
- Cannot have been sponsored to Canada as a spouse within the last five years.
Requirements for the sponsored spouse or common-law partner:
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Must not be too closely related to the sponsor.
There is no longer a need to be away from your loved ones. Now that you know what you need to do, bring your loved ones to Canada!